Thursday, September 6, 2012

Restructuring Dance

I decided to just continue working, assume I wasn't going to get laid off and hope for the best.  If any new opportunities came my way, then I'd be willing to explore them.  However, knowing that a restructuring was going to take place was a huge distraction.  I saw lots of closed doors and small groups converging to discuss who would be the most likely candidate to go.  People didn't know whether to continue working on certain projects because they didn't know whether these projects would even survive or if the other people working on them would survive.  Gallows humor seemed to rue the day.

People kept telling me - Oh, no, you'll be fine.  There is no way they would get rid of you. 

In the back of my mind, I kept things in perspective.  This was going to be a huge restructuring.  I was as much of a target as anyone else.  Plus, as with any department, it was a political place.  I was not a pet.  Sure I got along with the head of the department and I was pretty sure she didn't not like me, but again, I was not one of her favorites.   Some of her favorites came from former companies and others were personal friends.   At the end of the day, I would assume that personal relationships matter and if push came to shove, she would rather lay off someone else than her friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment