Monday, September 10, 2012

Restructuring Countdown

Was it going to happen today?  Was there extra security outside today?  Were there moving boxes in the hallway?

Each day we wondered whether it was THE day.  Each day, I was disappointed because it meant another day of uncertainty.  In some ways, I just wanted the company to just rip the band-aid off and just do it.  I understand that there are legal implications to a world-wide restructuring, but still, it was almost annoying how long it was taking.  It had been months since the announcement.  The executive leadership was of course vague on the timing.  There seemed to be constant meetings.  Meetings for department heads to meet with their terms, and then smaller subgroups to meet to discuss the progress.

I had been sending out a few feelers, but I still wanted to see what would happen.  While I was still unsure whether I'd be on the List, I still didn't feel like it was my time to go.  I still wasn't ready to move on.

I had other considerations as well.  I had been at the company for a few years, and my department was supportive of a work/life balance.  As long as the work got done and the clients were happy, there were no requirements for "face time."  I set expectations for my clients and I was generally able to leave at a reasonable time each day so that I could pick the kids up from school, spend a little bit of time with them and make dinner.  This was an established company and there wasn't an 24-hour mentality.

I realized that if I were to move to another company, then I would have to face a few things.  Some of which I wasn't ready to face.
  1. Establishing oneself.  One, I would have to establish and prove myself again.  Developing relationships and finding one's way in a new department always takes some time.  
  2. Work/life Balance.  Also, I wouldn't know right away whether there was a respect for a work/life balance.  Glassdoor.com was a good resource and I could get feel for the inner workings of a place, but I had to keep in mind whether the post was new or old and whether the poster could be biased or not.  If the reviews consistently listed work/life balance as a pro, then there was some comfort, but I also had to be mindful of which department this poster was in.  While there may be a respect for a work/life balance in one department, this doesn't necessarily carry over to other departments.  I worked in the G&A function, and so there may or may not be similar expectations than for the engineering or R&D staff. 
  3. Fit.  Fit at any place is extremely important.  If I'm going to spend a significant amount of time in any place, it's really important to find a place that fits me personally and professionally.   I'm not talking about politics, but philosophy in terms of how to approach problems.  I could not work at a place where it is so rigid and inflexible and did not believe in the spirit of compromise and cooperation. 
  4. Commute.  Any new place would have to be relatively close to my residence.  I didn't want to commute to a place where I knew the traffic would be horrendous. 
  5. Type of work.   I could do many things, but I had started to truly enjoy what I was doing.  I didn't want to branch out quite yet and wanted to continue to do what I was doing.  Finding the right position with a particular focus would take some time.  But, could I afford to be picky?
 Also, in the back of my mind, I was also thinking.  If I DID get laid off, would it hurt to just take some time off to really think about what I wanted to do?  Could I afford this luxury?

No comments:

Post a Comment