Saturday, October 6, 2012

Cash Flow Review - Tracking Food Expenses

Farmer's Markets

This weekend, we went to the farmer's market.  I love going to the farmer's market.  It's a chance to get outside and I've been going for a while, so I'm familiar with the format and the ware at each stall.  I frequent certain stalls and I'm getting to know some of the vendors.

Today, I spent a total of $23.  What did I buy?

Bunch of broccoli
Cauliflower
bunch of green onions
bunch of kale
bunch of bok choy
3 green pluots
large bunch of Thompson grapes
3 lunchbox size Fuji apples
4 large beefsteak tomatoes
celery
3 large onions

Not a bad haul and all of the produce was either organic or pesticide-free (according to the vendors).  I had enough fruits and vegetables to last us the entire week.     I usually buy certain fruits and vegetables, but sometimes something inspires me.

I then planned my menu for the week.  Usually, I buy certain vegetables and they are staples and I can usually work around what I buy.  This week, I was inspired by the bunch of kale.   Since the weather is getting colder, I thought that I should make some sort of soup or stew.  I'll need sausage.

Now I needed to get meat.  I'll need to get some pork chops, ground beef or chicken, chicken breast and some sausage.    I've had bad luck with the sausage at Whole Foods, so now where will I get some good, fresh sausage for my soup or stew?


No comments:

Post a Comment