Friday, June 24, 2011

Garden

We needed to do something with our backyard. It's pretty bare and we haven't decided what we wanted to do landscaping-wise, so I decided to put in a small garden. Our cherry tree needed a pollinator and so my interest in a with a garden started.

I was always curious about growing our own food, but I always procrastinated. I wondered how much of a commitment it would be to tend to the plants, water them, trim them, and gather the fruits and vegetables. Plus, I had to contend with my black thumb. Also, I wasn't sure when was the best to plant.

Browsing OSH and them Summerwinds Nursery, I decided to take the plunge. The following plants came home with me: brandywine heirloom tomatoes (3), squash, strawberry (6), a couple of blueberry bushes and a lapin cherry tree. I had no idea there were so many varieties of cherry trees and strawberry plants! Let's see how this works out.

So far, I've been watering the plants on a daily basis and I don't think any of the plants have died so far. The tomato plants are starting to bear fruit and I can't wait until they ripen. I was a bit worried about the weather (it was so cold for so long and then suddenly summer appeared), but the plants seem pretty resilient.

No comments:

Post a Comment